Monday, 22 December 2014

Mini Trees Ornament

"Mini Trees Ornament"
Size:  2.75" x 4.5"

Inspired by: Trees and Mini Trees patterns by Amanda Jean Nyberg of Crazy Mom Quilts

I couldn't help myself & had to make a new ornament for our little tree this year.  When I saw Amanda Jean's Trees & Mini Trees patterns, I just loved them and they inspired me to make an ornament-sized version.

Happy Quilting & Merry Christmas!


Wednesday, 10 December 2014



Pattern:  Sorbet Mini Quilt by Katie Clark Blakesley from the book Vintage Quilt Revival

Size:  18.375" x 18.375" (I made it smaller than the pattern because of how many charm squares I had to work with & then I lost a little more with my quilting)

The fabrics on the front and binding are all Elementary by Sweetwater for Moda.

The backing is a Robert Kaufman Fusions from my stash from 2008.

The Elementary line contains letters, numbers, dots & shapes - I just love it!!!

I meandered in the lighter (background) blocks and stitched in the ditch in the other blocks, allowing them to "pop".

Happy Quilting!


Sunday, 7 December 2014

Serge & Sew Colour of the Month - December

Serge & Sew's Colour of the Month - December - Gold

I chose to make some ornaments this month with my fabric.   First. I had some wooden stars (Carved Ornament by Celebrate It) which I traced onto freezer paper and used to cut out my fabric.  I removed their hangers, then glued the fabric onto the wood using Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue.  I did one side, let it completely dry, then did the other.  On the front side, I cut back the size of the star some to match the bevelling of the wood.  I replaced the hangers and was done - quick & easy, if you don't count the drying time.

Front & back:

I got the embellishment made through a local Etsy shop Flouster.  It's actually a dog tag but you can customize any wording you want and pick your font too!  I know a few people who can hang it year round in their studios :).  The actual ornament is one from a collection in the project A Bit of Cheer at, the Variable Star Ornament but instead of binding it, I turned it and added the eyelet for the hanger.  I did have issues with the eyelet on one but from the front it looks fine (it didn't catch the back layer of fabric) so I decided to leave it as is rather than trying to remove it & replace it.

Happy Quilting!